The parish of Old Deer is nowadays reckoned as belonging to Aberdeenshire, and the main article about it will therefore be found among the GENUKI Aberdeenshire pages. However, before the major re-alignment of parish and county boundaries which came into effect on 1st May 1891, the parish belonged in part to Banffshire. The remaining articles on this page give details.
According to the Minister, writing for the "New Statistical Account" in 1840: "... the [Banffshire] portion is generally supposed to be a detached part of a great barony, the body of which constitutes the parish of St Fergus, that belonged to a family of the name of Cheyne, once hereditary Sheriffs of the County of Banff ..."
This anomaly is probably of academic interest only, as the OPRs, the civil records of Births, Deaths and Marriages, and the Census for the whole parish of Old Deer are nowadays all catalogued under Aberdeenshire. However, it is possible that older land transactions in this area may be recorded under Banffshire.
Places affected: Auchrinny, Braeside, Nether Cabra, Upper Cabra, Cairnorchies, Den o' Howie, Fetterangus Village, Gaval, Gaval Mains, Braehead Gaval, Greens Gaval, Hythie, North Hythie, Middleton of Hythie, Milltown, Netherton.
Return to top of page
If you have found any errors or omissions, or have any suggestions about this page, please use the feedback form[Last updated: 9 Dec 2004, Gavin Bell]